50 Lifestyle Changes for Happy + Healthy Living
Very often, it’s those small lifestyle changes that can make a difference and really transform your life.
Things like practicing gratitude- that’s something that was definitely life-changing for me. I never thought of myself as an ungrateful person, at the same time though, there used to be so many wonderful things I often took for granted.
It’s those small lifestyle changes that really redefined my goals in life. All it really takes is making a small shift, a small change in your daily routine to bring some positivity and healthy influence to your life.
Now, lookie here- I’ve listed 50 of them! :)
1. Drink more water. If you like soda you can first try flavored sparkling water. If you can’t stand plain water, infuse it with fruit and/or herbs.
2. Don’t skip breakfast. You’ll be less likely to suffer from low energy levels or binge on something unhealthy later on in the day. I personally don’t like having big breakfast, but I always make sure to have something healthy like overnight oats or a smoothie.
3. Snack on berries and almonds. Your nails and hair will thank you.
4. Take Omega-3. Omega 3 fatty acids have been proven to improve mood and alleviate depression. There are numerous studies linking anxiety and other mood disorders with low blood levels of omega-3 fats. Low intake of omega-3 is also known to change the functioning of serotonin and dopamine. Bonus? If you suffer from bad PMS and turn quite bitchy (like I do, I’ll admit it!) you’ll find that omega-3 helps with that, too.
5. Drink herbal tea. Make it a habit of enjoying your little tea-time- even if it’s just 5-10 minutes in the morning or evening. I love peppermint and raspberry leaf.
6. Try to sneak in something green and healthy into your diet, at least once a day. This is how I add more greens to my diet.
7. Always have something healthy to snack on, handy.
8. While working, or studying, step away from your desk at least once every hour. Take a quick walk around the office, have a light stretch.
9. Eat slowly.
10. Never go food shopping while hungry. I don’t think I have to explain this one? :)
11. Laugh often. Don’t ever underestimate the power of a good comedy show or movie, especially when you’re having a crappy day.
12. Practice gratitude. Before you go to sleep, think of the best thing that happened to you that day and say “thank you, thank you, thank you!” Trust me, there are great things that happen to you, even during ordinary days. I love practicing gratitude in the morning, as well.
13. Be kind. Always. Regardless of the circumstances.
14. Create a few morning rituals that you will look forward to, every day.
15. Take the stairs. When going shopping, don’t be afraid to park several rows away from the door.
16. Spend time in nature. Take long walks.
17. Rise early. Think about what you could do with extra 10 minutes in the morning? Not being in the rush while leaving the house, is worth the effort.
18. Do something nice for others, on regular basis. Nothing’s better than knowing you’ve put a smile on someone’s face.
19. Practice self-care. Always look after yourself.
20. Diffuse essential oils– they can help you relax and unwind.
21. Never write and send emails or text messages, while angry. If you’re angry with someone, you can let it all out by writing them a message, but instead of sending it, delete it once your anger goes away.
22. Remember to recycle.
23. Don’t complain. Especially when it comes to things that are out of your control.
24. Stop waiting. Don’t spend your life waiting for Friday, for summer, for love. “Right now” is all you’ll ever have.
25. Be more mindful.
26. Don’t waste your time crying over the past.
27. Let go of your need to be perfect.
28. Keep track of your goals. Set new ones.
29. Do more of what you love. Do you like to cook? Try a new, fun recipe. Do you love animals? Volunteer at a shelter. Do something that you really enjoy, every day. It can be as simple as listening to your favorite album when on your way to work.
30. Try new things, often. Do things that scare you- that’s how you grow.
31. Judge less.
32. Know how to slow down and be present.
33. Don’t compare yourself to others. Remember that you are unique and nothing can replace you.
34. Keep your email inbox organized. Digital mess, still counts as “mess”. :)
35. Learn to say “no” to things you don’t fee like doing.
36. Nourish your relationships.
37. Practice positive thinking. Your attitude can make the biggest difference, especially when experiencing something unpleasant.
38. Dance more often. Even if it’s just by yourself, in the kitchen.
39. Learn how to stop procrastinating. Tackle your most important tasks, first.
40. Get more sleep.
41. Take a little tech-time-out once in a while. Turn off your phone, the TV and pick up a book or try meditating.
42. Start using positive affirmations.
43. Don’t ever stop learning.
44. Worry less. Don’t waste your time feeling anxious about things that are beyond your control.
45. Listen more.
46. Edit your life frequently. Get rid of things that don’t serve you and surround yourself only with positive, supportive people.
47. Learn to appreciate little things in life. Your life is made up of moments- pay attention to those good, happy, exciting ones.
48. Stay curious.
49. Once in a while, spoil yourself-even if it’s only a cup of coffee from your favorite place.
50. Don’t be afraid to dream big.
Of course, you don’t have to make all these changes at once to get big results- that, after all, wouldn’t be a small change at all. Start off by changing something small and subtle, but something that will truly make a positive impact on your life.